Cell Biology of genome integrity
Each cell in the human body receives thousands of DNA lesions per day. DNA lesions can interfere with genome replication and transcription, and if they are not repaired or are repaired incorrectly, they lead to mutations that may threaten cell viability. The most deleterious DNA breaks are the Double Strand Breaks (DSBs) because unfaithful repair can lead to the formation of cancerous chromosomal translocations. It is poorly understood why translocations between chromosomes recur at specific break points in the genome and even less is known about how ends from different DSBs meet in the cell nucleus. It was recently shown that broken chromosome ends are positionally stable and unable to roam the cell nucleus and that unrepaired DSBs preferentially undergo translocations with neighboring chromosomes. In our group we are using a unique cell system to induce DSB at a specific chromosomal location and to follow the fate of damaged DNA in living cells in real time. Our goal is to investigate the dynamics of DSBs in relation to the surrounding chromatin structure and nuclear architecture and to test how this is related to their repair and their involvement in the formation of chromosomal translocations.
Our lab is member of the Network aDDRess.
Our lab is part of the ‘Cellular signaling and nuclear dynamics’ programme”
If you are interested in joining the lab, please email directly to Evi Soutoglou email@example.com
We are interested in how DNA repair occurs in the context of chromatin and the highly compartmentalized nucleus. Projects in the lab include:
• Investigation of the role of nuclear organization in DNA damage response and the formation of chromosomal translocations
• Visualization of the formation of chromosome translocations in vivo using live cell imaging
• Identification of novel chromatin related proteins that are involved in the repair of DSBs
• Investigation of the dynamics of RNA pol II transcription in response to DSBs
• Bernard Lopez, CEA, Paris, France
• Michal Goldberg, Hebrew University, Israel
• Jerome Dejardin, Institute of Human Genetics, Montpellier, France
• David Chen, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas, USA
- Evi SOUTOGLOU - prix du label FRM - Fondation pour la Recherche Médicale (FRM) - 2016
- Evi Soutoglou - ERC Consolidator Grant - European Research Council (ERC) - 2015
- Evi Soutoglou - USIAS Fellowship 2015 - USIAS (Institut d'études Avancées de l'Université de Strasbourg) - 2015
- Evi SOUTOGLOU - Bronze Medal - CNRS - 2015
- Charlène LEMAITRE - Hélène Starck Prize - Fondation ARC - 2014
- Evi SOUTOGLOU - Scientific prize - Fondation Schlumberger pour l'Education et la Recherche (FSER) - 2013
- Evi SOUTOGLOU - EMBO Young Investigator Award - European Molecular Biology Organization Young Investigator Programme (EMBO YIP) - 2012
- Charlene LEMAITRE - L'Oréal prize for women in science - L'Oréal / UNESCO / Académie des sciences - 2012
- Evi SOUTOGLOU - Olga Sain Prize - Ligue Contre le Cancer - 2010
- Evi SOUTOGLOU - ATIP starting grant - CNRS - 2009
- Evi SOUTOGLOU - ATIP - AVENIR starting grant - Inserm / CNRS - 2009
- Evi SOUTOGLOU - Career Development Award - Human Frontier Science Program (HFSP) - 2009
- July 7, 2016 - Breakdance in mammalian heterochromatin!
- April 25, 2016 - IGBMC Researchers once again distinguished by the European Research Council
- Feb. 4, 2016 - Tankyrase 1 and 2: a key role in DNA repair
- Nov. 20, 2015 - Two Talents of the CNRS
- March 26, 2015 - SET, a novel player in DNA repair and a potential chemotherapeutic target
- Nov. 3, 2014 - DNA damage: repair adapted in space
- Nov. 14, 2012 - Evi Soutoglou, laureate of the EMBO YIP Award 2012
- Feb. 12, 2012 - DNA breaks : stop to better repair
Mol Cell June 17, 2021 ; 81:2596-2610.e7 .
Methods Mol Biol 2021 ; 2153:439-445 .
Front Cell Dev Biol 2020 ; 8:319 .
Nucleic Acids Res Sept. 25, 2020 ; 48:10013-10014 .
Curr Opin Cell Biol March 25, 2020 ; 64:58-66 .
Nat Struct Mol Biol Dec 2019 ; 26:1087-1088 .
Genes Dev June 1, 2019 ; 33:684-704 .
J Cell Biol Oct 2018 ; 217:3382-3397 .
Nat Commun July 24, 2017 ; 8:113 .
Molecular Cell 21 Jul 2016 2016 ; : .