Dynamics of chromatin structure and transcription regulation
Over the past years our lab has identified and characterized a large number of metazoan nuclear transcription factors. These regulatory proteins include RNA polymerase II initiation factors and co-activators that often form large multi-subunit complexes at promoter DNA to mediate transcription initiation and/or modify the epigenetic landscape of the genome. Our studies demonstrate that large co-activator complexes play a critical role in mediating general and cell type specific transcription as well as chromatin-regulatory processes. Our main research interest is to study the nature of the molecular machineries and mechanisms that control how specific protein coding genes are turned on and off in the nucleus of a given cell, during growth, differentiation and development, and how does disruption of this highly regulated process lead to various disease states We use biochemical, genetic, cell biology, imaging and structural approaches to study the control of gene expression, genome stability and chromatin architecture in different eukaryotic organisms (yeast, mouse and human). Our current and planned activities aim to better understand regulatory processes in different cellular systems under physiological conditions and also during the development of intact vertebrate organisms.
1. Study of TFIID and different chromatin modifying complexes during differentiation and development
2. Study the assembly and dynamic action of transcription complexes in regulation of gene expression
3. Study the regulation of histone H2B monoubiquitination and its role in cellular homeostasis
4. Study the role of mRNA export complex in chromatin architecture and genome stability
Using a combination of fluorescence microscopy, antibody labelling, GFP (green fluorescent protein) tracking, ChIP (chromatin immunoprecipitation), single molecule RNA FISH (fluorescence in situ hybridization), we have started to analyse the mechanisms that regulate transcription at a higher resolution. Furthermore, to answer our questions, we use a wide combination of biochemistry based assays: protein immunoprecipitation coupled with mass spectrometry assays, genome-wide gene expression studies (RNA-seq) and transcription factor occupancy studies (ChIP-seq), 4-TU based nascent transcript measurements, but also yeast and mouse genetics and several other imaging techniques (FRAP, FCS, STED, 3D-SIM, spt-PALM).
- Dr. Marc H.T.M. Timmers, Utrecht University, Utrecht, The Netherlands, TAF-TFIID project
- Dr. Iannis Talianidis, BIOMEDICAL SCIENCES RESEARCH CENTER, Alexander Fleming, Athens, Greece, TFIID project
- Dr. Ferenc Müller, Department of Medical and Molecular Genetics, School of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Birmingham; UK, TAF-TBP like project,
- Dr. Sophia Georgieva, Institute of Gene Biology, Moscow, Russia, mRNA export project
- Dr. Cheng-Fu Kao, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan, International common ANR project histone H2B deubiquitination
- Dr. Graham Wright, Institute of Medical Biology, Singapore, Super resolution imaging, TFIID, SAGA and ATAC project
- Drs. Yves Mely and Pascal Didier, UdS, Laboratoire Biophotonique et des interactions moleculaires, Illkirch, France, Super resolution imaging, TFIID, SAGA and ATAC project
- Dr. Etienne Weiss, ESBS UdS, Illkirch, France, Dynamic visualization of nuclear transcription factors
- Dr. Robert Schneider, IGBMC, Illkirch, France, analyzing novel acetylation sites in the chromatin
- Dr. Patrick Schultz; IGBMC, Illkirch, France, EM structure of TFIID and ATAC complexes
- Dr. Imre Berger, EMBL, Grenoble, structure of TFIID and ATAC complexes
- Laszlo TORA - ERC Advanced Grant - European Research Council - 2013
- Laszlo TORA - Etancelin Grand Prize - Institut de France de l'Académie des Sciences - 2011
- Laszlo TORA - Scientific Prize - Helmholtz Humboldt Research - 2005
- Laszlo TORA - Member of the European Molecular Biology Organization (EMBO) - European Molecular Biology Organization (EMBO) - 2001
- Laszlo TORA - Silver Medal - CNRS - 2001
- Sept. 13, 2018 - 2017, a year with the CNRS in Alsace
- July 27, 2018 - New DNA repair mechanism unveiled
- April 13, 2018 - Transcription and intellectual disability: a mutation resulting in the almost complete loss of a general transcription factor has a much less severe effect than expected
- Feb. 13, 2018 - Observing protein activity in the nucleus of living human cells
- Sept. 17, 2017 - SAGA and TFIID, general cofactors for RNA polymerase II transcription
- July 19, 2017 - Dynamics of transcription factors: Identification of two distinct populations of cofactors and general transcription factors that dependent on active transcription
- Oct. 31, 2016 - Acetylation of PLK4: a regulator of genome stability
- April 25, 2016 - IGBMC Researchers once again distinguished by the European Research Council
- Jan. 14, 2015 - Discovery of a stage of formation in the cytoplasm for the TFIID transcription factor
- Sept. 15, 2014 - SAGA: an underestimated role in the transcription of our genes
- Dec. 1, 2013 - László Tora, winner of the 2013 ERC Advanced Grant
- Jan. 6, 2013 - At the heart of transcription
- April 15, 2012 - New roles of Histone H1 in transcription
- Dec. 23, 2011 - New light shed on chromosome fragility
- Aug. 1, 2010 - H3.3, a histone at the origin of development
Nat Commun April 15, 2019 ; 10:1740 .
Nat Commun March 20, 2019 ; 10:1288 .
Transcription Feb 2019 ; 10:29-36 .
Cancers (Basel) March 13, 2019 .
Nat Commun Feb. 11, 2019 ; 10:691 .
Nat Struct Mol Biol Dec. 3, 2018 .
Bio Protoc Nov. 5, 2018 .
J Vis Exp Oct. 22, 2018 .
Mol Cell Oct. 4, 2018 ; 72:10-17 .
Mol Cell Biol Oct. 1, 2018 .
Former PhD students:
- Xavier Jacq,1992-1997, thesis: 14.10.1997.
Co-founder & VP Scientific Affairs at MISSION Therapeutics, Cambridge, UK
- Anne Bertolotti, 1993-1998, thesis: 20.04.1998
Group leader at MRC-LMB, Cambridge, UK
- Jean-Christophe Dantonel, 1995-1999, thesis: 17. 12. 1999
Director at Government Agency, Health and Biotechnologies, Région de Paris, France
- Marjorie Brand, 1996-2001, thesis: 20.2.2001.
Group Leader at Sprott Center for Stem Cell Research, Ottawa Hospital Research Institute, Canada
- Doris Kirschner, 1997-2001, thesis: 14.03.2001.
Responsable BOOSTER – Genopole, Évry, Île-de-France, France
- Claire Leurent, 1998-2002, thesis 13.12.2002.
Samsung Ventures America, Boston, USA
- Màté Demény, 2001-2006, thesis: 31.05.2006.
Team Instructor, University of Debrecen, Hungary
- Sara Hardy, 2001-2005, thesis: 24.06.2005.
Ingénieure en Bioinformatique - Chercheure en Biologie Moléculaire et Cellulaire, Université Toulouse III, France
- Flavie Robert, 2001-2005, thesis: 15.06.2005.
Chimiste, spécialiste en biotechnologie pharmaceutique,
Co-fondatrice de Bokoloko (épicerie sans emballage), Vevey, Switzerland
- Adrien Eberlin, 2002-2008, thesis: 09.11.2007
Chef de Projet Oncologie (MSD France), Alsace, France
- Laure Jobert, 2003-2009, thesis: 28.11.2007
Staff Scientist at Thermo Fisher Scientific, Oslo, Norway,
- Emese Gazdag, 2004-2009, thesis: 24.11.2008
Post-doc at Department of Cell, Developmental and Regenerative Biology, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, NY, USA
- Arnaud Krebs, 2006-2010, thesis 21.09.2010
Group-leader at EMBL, Heidelberg, Germany
- Guillaume Lang, 2006-2011, thesis: 20.09.2011.
- Jacques Bonnet, 2007-2013, thesis: 16.03.2013
Post-doc at MPI of Biochemistry, Martinsried, München, Germany
- Anne Riss, 2007-2012, thesis: 16.09.2012.
Technical Support Scientist for the UK/Nordics area at Merck Millipore, Molsheim, France
- Akos Gyenis, 2008-2013, thesis: 16.12.2012.
Researcher and laboratory supervisor at the institute of CECAD at University of Cologne, Köln, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
- Sarina Ravens, 2010-2014, thesis: 1.12. 2014.
Post-doc at Centre for Laboratory Medicine, Institut of Immunology, Hannover Medical School, Germany.
- Nikolas Vosnakis, 2010-2014, thesis 16.12.2014.
Post-doc at NYU Langone Medical Center, NY, USA
- Tiago Baptista, 2013-2017, thesis 25. 09. 2017.
Post-doc at CEDOC - CHRONIC DISEASES RESEARCH CENTER, Lisbon, Portugal
- Federica Evangelista, 2014-2018, thesis 19. 12. 2017
PhD in Molecular Biology, Strasbourg, Alsace France.
- P. Bardot, 2014-2018, Ph.D. student, thesis 28. 06. 2018.
Specialized Master Program in Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology Management at the ESP Europe Business School in Paris, France
- Veronika Dubrovskaya, 1993-1995
Department of Biological Sciences, Fordham University, Bronx, NY, USA.
- Elzbieta Wieczorek, 1995-1997
Project leader at Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Chemistry, University of Science and Technology, Wroclaw, Poland.
- Brendan Bell, 1997-2002
Associate professor and Director of Microbiology graduate studies at Université de Sherbrooke (Québec), Canada
- Lorant Lakatos, 1999-2001
Principal Investigator at Department of Dermatology and Allergology, University of Szeged, Hungary
- William Mohan, 1999-2003
Chemist at Health Canada, Canada
- Elmar vom Baur, 2001-2002
Director, Development Project Manager at Molecular Partners AG, Zurich, Switzerland
- Evi Soutoglou, 2001-2003
Group Leader at IGBMC, Illkirch, France
- Mattia Frontini, 2001-2006
Senior Research Associate at Cambridge Cardiovascular, Department of Haematology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge Biomedical Campus, Cambridge, UK.
- Nathalie Matter, 2002-2003
Science Manager, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Institute of Nanotechnology, Karlsruhe, Germany
- Traci Hilton, 2003-2006
Principle Investigtor at UbiVac, LLC, University of Washington, Portland, Oregon, USA
- Zita Nagy, 2004-2008
Junior Project manager chez Grand E-nov, l'Agence Régionale d'Innovation du Grand Est, Strasbourg, Alsace, France
- Anne Helmrich, 2006-2012
Technical Support for Merck Millipore Life Science, Molsheim, France
- Maria Elena Torres-Padilla, 2006-2008
Director of Institute of Epigenetics and Stem Cells at Helmholtz Zentrum München, Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH), Germany
- Meritxell Orpinell, 2007-2010
Project Manager at ERT (eResearchTechnology, Inc.), Geneva, Switzerland
- Krishanpal Karmodiya, 2008-2013
Assistant Professor at Center of Excellence in Epigenetics, IISER, Pune, India
- Anamika Krishanpal, 2009-2013
Technical Specialist and Genomics Team Leader at Labs, at Persistent Systems, Pune, India
- Monica Ballarino, 2010-2012
Assistant Professor at Dept. of Biology and Biotechnology "Charles Darwin" Sapienza University of Rome, Rome, Italy
- Eda Süer, 2012-2013
Post-doctoral Researcher at Bilkent University, Ankara, Turkey
- David Umlauf, 2010-2013
Maître de Conférences at Université Toulouse III - Paul Sabatier, Toulouse, France
- Marjorie Fournier, 2010-2014
Research Scientist, Proteomics Specialist, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK,
- Chen-Yi Wang, 2012-2014
Postdoctoral Research Scientist, NDORMS, Medical Science Division, University of Oxford, UK
- Ivanka Kamenova, 2014-2017
Editor at Nature Protocols, London, UK
Former Visiting Professors :
- Prof. Michael Poirier (2018) Department of Physics, Ohio State University, USA
- Xavier Jacq,1992-1997, thesis: 14.10.1997.